01 May 2020

DEWA Signs PPA for Fifth Phase of Dubai Solar Park

01 May 2020  by Power Technology   
Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (DEWA) has signed a power purchase agreement (PPA) for the 900MW fifth phase of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum solar park.
The 25-year PPA will contribute to achieving the Dubai Clean Energy Strategy 2050.
Under the strategy, Dubai aims to produce 75% of the total power output from clean energy by 2050.
DEWA managing director and CEO Saeed Mohammed Al Tayer said: “The 900MW fifth phase of the solar park using the Independent Power Producer (IPP) model adds to our successful solar power and clean energy projects that use the best global technologies to generate electricity from clean energy sources.
“The fifth phase will be implemented by Shuaa Energy 3, established by DEWA and the consortium led by ACWA Power and the Gulf Investment Corporation. DEWA received the lowest global bid of $1.6953 cents per kilowatt-hour for this project, which will use the latest solar photovoltaic bifacial technologies, with Single Axis Tracking to increase generation.
“We promise to continue implementing clean and renewable energy projects, guided by the vision and directives of our wise leadership to enhance the UAE’s pioneering position in all sectors.”
The fifth phase will be equipped with the latest solar photovoltaic (PV) bifacial technologies with single-axis tracking.
The commissioning will take place in stages beginning from the third quarter of next year.
The Al Maktoum solar park has a planned capacity of 5,000MW by 2030 with a total investment of nearly AED50bn ($13.6bn).
The solar park is currently operational with 1,013MW capacity from PV solar panels. About 1,850MW is under construction from PV and Concentrated Solar Power (CSP).
DEWA owns 60% of Shuaa Energy 3 and the remaining 40% is held by the consortium.

More News