Oil & Gas

11 Jun 2024

Woodside Starts Production in Senegal's First Offshore Oil Development

11 Jun 2024  by rigzone   

The first phase of development involves production of up to 100,000 bpd.
Woodside Energy Group Ltd. said Tuesday it has achieved maiden production in the Sangomar field, making it the first offshore petroleum development to go onstream in Senegal.

Located 100 kilometers (62.1 miles) south of the capital Dakar, Sangomar is estimated to hold proven and probable reserves of 230 million barrels of crude. The first phase of development involves production of up to 100,000 barrels a day through the Léopold Sédar Senghor floating production, storage and offloading vessel, named after the first president of the Western African country.

Nine production wells have been completed, out of a total of 21 wells completed, Woodside said in a statement.

The first phase of development has now been modified to drill a total of 24 wells, from the initial 23. The revision brings the number of phase one production wells to 12. The number of water injection and gas injection wells have been maintained at 10 and two respectively.

“This is an historic day for Senegal and for Woodside”, Woodside chief executive Meg O’Neill commented.

“Delivering Senegal’s first offshore oil project safely, through a period of unprecedented global challenge, demonstrates Woodside’s world-class project execution capability”, O’Neill added. “We are proud of the relationships we have formed with PETROSEN, the Government of Senegal and our key international and local contractors to develop this nationally significant resource.”

Work on the project started 2020. Startup was rescheduled from late 2023 to mid-2024 after delays, which also came with increased costs.

Thierno Ly, general manager of Senegal’s state-owned Petrosen, said, “This achievement is the result of the unwavering commitment of our teams, who have worked diligently to overcome challenges and meet our strategic objectives in a complex and demanding environment”.

Petrosen holds an 18 percent participating stake in the field, while Australian exploration and production company Woodside owns the remaining 82 percent as operator. Woodside’s net share of production is 60 million barrels. The project is being implemented by Woodside-Petrosen joint venture Rufisque Offshore, Sangomar Offshore and Sangomar Deep Offshore (RSSD).

“We have never been so well positioned for opportunities for growth, innovation, and success in the economic and social development of our nation”, Ly added.

Sangomar is one of Woodside’s “growth projects” alongside Mexico’s Trion field, which is targeted to start producing 2028, and the Scarborough field liquefied natural gas project (LNG) in Australia, which is planned to begin LNG delivery 2026.

Woodside expects to ramp up production in Sangomar throughout the rest of the year.

“Crude quality is expected to be ~31 degrees API which is in demand in European and Asian markets”, it said.

Woodside said expenditures for the project remained within the provided range of $4.9 billion to $5.2 billion, which was an increase of seven to 13 percent from the previous estimate.

It added, “Woodside’s historical acquisition of participating interests in the RSSD joint venture from both Capricorn Energy and FAR included certain contingent payments”.

“Given current timing of first oil and oil prices Woodside anticipates making both these payments”, Woodside said. “The final payments are subject to ongoing production performance and oil price”.


More News